Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Exploration 1


For our first exploration, each student was asked to research various animated logos. From those we were to then choose our three favorites, and present it in class. Explain what we believe to be the concept and thought process behind it, what we find interesting, and what the designer is trying to portray through this animation.

I felt that the more logos I saw the more engaged I became in looking at every small detail and deciphering the concepts and messages behind it. 


1) The first of my top three logos , is the Lionsgate logo animation. As a
 Canadian-American entertainment company, Lionsgate Entertainment Corporation is known as the most eminent independent film and television distribution company.



                                         


In this video, the idea of protection and safety expressed by the name itself is represented through the gears that introduce the animation. Which in a way also works to represent the idea of recording a film, and the functional aspects of it.

The keyhole, the opening gates (taking us into the world of entertainment), the gold and black color schemes, are all symbolic to the name of the company and the mood which the artist wants to provoque. One of guidance and patronage.


2) The second of the three logos, is one that I encountered whilst watching Richard William's "Animators Survival Kit" DVDs.








No matter how many times I watch it, I always find something I hadn't noticed before. Each character represents a different aspect and stage of animation the artist himself has been through. Which is in turn, what the book itself is about. The artist using his personal experiences to instruct the reader about traditional animation.

3) The third logo animation is from the movie Transformers.




 The most recent of the three. Representing the entire concept of the movie and the tittle itself through the transformation of the letters to spell out transformers, and once again the day of premier.






Another logo that fascinates me every time I find a new version is the Google variations. Whether they are animations, or simple illustrations, I find the designs incredible and fun. Yet what I have come to appreciate the most, is the way in which it has come to own the holidays regarding design. With the simple idea of changing it according to the day it is or special holiday. Something that I feel can only be done once, seeing as if i were to see it in a recurring way with another logo I would simply relate it to the Google logo as the pioner of that idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment